Bangalore, December 20: Goods worth lakhs of rupees were destroyed in an accidental fire that broke out in Bangalore Home Needs departmental store in Vasanth Nagar on Friday. Though there were staff and customers in the shop at the time of the fire, no one was injured, the police said.
A staff of the departmental store noticed thick smoke emanating from the store and alerted others, who ran out to safety.
Three fire tenders rushed to the spot and doused the fire after one hour of struggle.
The shop is owned by Kerala-based businessman Saabu, who is running the business for the past 20 years.
The Fire and Emergency Services personnel suspected that short-circuit could be the reason for the mishap. The fire personnel managed to take out the gas cylinders kept in the store, which prevented the situation from escalating.
Cab driver ends life
A cab driver allegedly committed suicide by setting himself ablaze at his house in Vijayanagar on Thursday. The deceased has been identified as Ramesh (45), resident of Maruthinagar.
According to the police, the incident occurred when Ramesh was alone at his house and his wife had taken their daughter to a doctor.
The incident came to light when neighbours noticed smoke emanating from the house and rushed to help.
Though they managed to put out the fire and rushed him to a nearby hospital, he succumbed.