Bangalore, Feb 21, 2013,
Family alleges negligence by doctors at Victoria Hospital
A 31-year-old woman allegedly died after being administered an overdose of anaesthesia at Victoria Hospital on Thursday.
Asha, 31, a resident of Choodasandra on the Tamil Nadu border visited the hospital on Tuesday with her husband Devaraj for the treatment of the severe pain she was experiencing in her right ear since a month.
Devaraj claimed that “an ENT specialist, after examining Asha recommended a minor operation. He took a bribe of Rs 4,000 for the operation and gave an appointment for Thursday.” The couple arrived at the hospital at around 9 am. Asha was taken into the minor operation theatre and administered anaesthesia, he said.
But half an hour into the operation, one of the doctors rushed outside the OT and questioned Devaraj if his wife had fits or any other ailments, to which he responded negatively.
Devaraj said: “About 40 minutes later, the doctors declared that my wife died of heart attack. It was shocking since my wife was healthy.” One of the doctors, however, said her condition deteriorated after she was administered anaesthesia, he added.
Victoria Hospital Superintendent Dr Gurushankar said: “We have formed a three-member committee to look into the incident. If we suspect any kind of medical negligence, we will take severe action.”
He said the hospital will look into the matter involving corruption. The committee will submit its report on Sunday along with post mortem report.
Meanwhile, the family of Asha lodged a complaint against the hospital at Victoria Police Station.