Mangaluru, June 9: Konkani study chair and research centre will be inaugurated by minister R V Deshpande at the Mangalore University on June 12th, informed the president of Karnataka Konkani Sahitya Academy, Roy Castelino.
Addressing the press meet at press club here on Tuesday, June 9th Roy Castelino said, said Rs 2 crore has been allotted by the state government for the Konkani study chair and research centre to fulfill this long pending demand.
Objectives of the centre are:
- To help in the development of Konkani language and study and research of Konkani linguistic science.
- To do the documentation and the study of Konkani people, folk, art, literature and culture.
- To organize regional, national and international conventions, workshops for Konkani litterateurs, poets and writers.
- To create awareness on Konkani language among the students and youth.
- To develop educational tools like syllabus, books and methods to teach Konkani language from nursery to post graduation level.
- To organize programmes like doctoral, post doctoral and fellowship programme at university level. Apex body will function as main centre for the linguistic centre.
- To organize online degree including correspondence, postal education programmes.
The academy has also appointed ambassadors to increase the number of Konkani learning students from 6th standards in the schools.
Raghavendra Rao from Mangalore for Dakshina Kannada, Ullas Kamath for Karwar and Prof G Venkatesh Pai for Udupi has been appointed as Konkani ambassadors. Academy has thanked all those who helped it in achieving this.
During the press meet, M P Noronha, Basthi Vaman Shenoy, Dr B Devadas Pai and others were present.