Deepak Bhardwaj & younger son, Nitesh
New Delhi: The Delhi Police today arrested Deepak Bhardwaj’s younger son, Nitesh, in the murder case of the BSP leader and real estate tycoon, who was killed in his south Delhi farmhouse on the morning of March 26. Mr Bhardwaj’s lawyer, Baljeet, who knew details of the real estate tycoon’s land deals, has also been arrested.
Here are the 10 latest developments in the case:
- The police say Deepak Bhardwaj was estranged from his family for the past several months and his murder was plotted because of a property dispute.
- Police sources had earlier said that somebody close to Mr Bhardwaj seems to be the key conspirator and had offered Rs. three to six crore for the hit.
- Since the murder, the police had been questioning Nitesh, Mr Bhardwaj’s estranged wife and Baljeet.
- On Monday evening, police recovered two country-made pistols that were allegedly used to murder Mr Bhardwaj. The guns were found in a canal in Rohtak, Haryana.
- The cops continue to search for a self-styled godman or “swami”, identified as Pratima Nand from Bahadurgarh in Haryana, who they have learnt, might have plotted Mr Bhardwaj’s assassination. It was him who reportedly told the killers to dispose their weapons in Rohtak.
- The Delhi Police has released photo of the godman and also conducted raids in Haryana, Uttarakhand, Bihar and Karnataka in his search.
- The two men arrested in the case have allegedly told the cops that the godman offered them Rs. two crore to murder Mr Bhardwaj and had planned the murder about two to three months ago.
- The Delhi Police has said that the murder was ordered by a “complex web of conspirators.”
- Mr Bhardwaj was shot dead in his sprawling 26-acre farmhouse near Gurgaon by two men. The alleged killers were caught on CCTV camera coming out of the farmhouse brandishing a gun and then escaping in a grey Skoda car. They were arrested two weeks later.
- In the 2009 national elections, Mr Bhardwaj was the richest candidate with assets worth Rs. 600 crores. He lost the elections but shot to prominence due to the assets he declared on the affidavit.(NDTV)