Hundreds of used tyres burnt; no casualties reported
Four buses belonging to a private transport company and hundreds of used tyres were destroyed in a fire that broke out in a shed at T.R. Mills in Chamarajpet on Sunday. There were no casualties.
The fire broke out around 4.40 p.m. Children, who were playing in the shed, noticed it and alerted passersby.
Initially, they tried to douse the flames, but it soon spread and engulfed the parked buses.
It took four hours for 16 fire tenders and 50 firefighters to bring the inferno under control.
Cause of fire
The K.G. Nagar police suspect that the fire may have been started by some mischief mongers. The Fire and Emergency Services personnel used a mixture of chemical foam and water to contain the fire.
Thick smoke that billowed out from the spot was followed by explosions, causing panic among residents in the neighbourhood. The Fire Services personnel, with help of local people, shifted other buses and old tyres from the shed to prevent further damage.
Annamalai, owner of the shed, said he sent the used tyres to factories manufacturing shoes, belts, wallets and other products.
Fire in godown
Meanwhile, another fire was reported in a godown in Prakashnagar, near Rajajinagar. Firefighters took over two hours to bring the blaze under control. They said that 11 fire tenders rushed to the spot. The fire is suspected to have been caused by an electric short-circuit. The godown had stocks of raw material to produce insulation tape as well as the finished products.