Guests evacuated as fire breaks out in Mysore hotel

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr


MYSORE, October 9:   A fire broke out at a hotel in Mysore forcing the authorities to evacuate all the guests on Tuesday.

There was considerable damage to a hall on the fourth floor. One of the Fire and Emergency Services personnel suffered asphyxiation and was administered medical aid.

At 6.30 a.m., a traffic constable on beat and a taxi driver saw smoke billowing from the rooftop of Hotel KVC International on Krishnavilas Road. They immediately alerted the hotel staff and the Fire and Emergency Services at Saraswathipuram.

Guests residing in the hotel were evacuated. The fire services personnel battled for over two hours to douse the flames.

A fire services personnel told The Hindu that the cause of the fire would be known only after a detailed investigation. It appeared that a boiler on the roof had overheated and caused the fire as the area had plastic material around it.

Photo Caption

Photo Caption

The fire destroyed the false ceiling on the fourth floor and also spread to the third floor,said M.A. Saleem, Commissioner of Police.

Chitra Jhaveri, a guest, said that the hotel staff helped her to safety. Another tourist from Dharwad said that she was fast asleep when she heard loud commotion and banging on the door.

When she opened the door, she was told to vacate the premises. There were nearly 40 guests in the hotel when the fire broke out.

Meanwhile, Mysore City Corporation staff pointed out that the fourth floor was a violation of the building bylaw as permission was given to construct only three floors.

The hotel owner, K.V. Chinnaiah, said that the structure on the fourth floor was “temporary” and was used as a function hall.

A beauty parlour and spa, on the fourth floor, were completely damaged.

Write A Comment