Located amidst the idyllic surroundings of the banks of River Aghanashini, this historical monument in Uttara Kannada is remarkable yet less visited. The fort is located to the south of Gokarna, about a kilometre off the National Highway 17.
Mirjan Fort attracts visitors with its majestic look. As one enters the fort through the broad steps leading to the interiors, they get to know of the architectural skills that the builders possessed at a time when modern technology was unheard of. The wells, secret doors, tunnels, kitchen, dwellings, watch tower and other such ruins make visitors ponder over the lost historical significance of the place.
This time-tested structure has been built using locally-available laterite stones. It is popularly believed that the fort was built by Queen Chennabharadevi, who was known as the pepper queen of India as she controlled the pepper business through this fort. The period of construction is believed to be 1608-1640 A.D.
The flowing river, greenish groves and the breezing wind from the seaside adds flavour to the beauty of the fort.
The fort has been declared protected monument by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), which renovated some major parts of the fort recently.