Bangalore: Every Diwali brings its share of injuries and this year was no different. Hospitals reported as many as 17 eye injures. This, despite safety awareness campaigns by various government bodies and non-profit organizations.
An employee from Minto Hospital informed media, “We received two patients, a 12-year-old boy and a 7-year-old. Chandru, the 12-year-old from Hedgenagar, was seriously hurt.
However his eye is showing signs of improvement.” Narayana Netralaya recorded four minor cases of eye injuries. “On Wednesday night we received two patients, ages 11 and 6.
They have been prescribed drops. Again on Thursday morning we saw two more patients, a minor and an adult of 36, with complaints of eye injuries sustained during Diwali celebrations, ” said an employee from Light diyas instead of bursting crackers for a safe, pollution free Diwali: KSPCB President Dr Vaman Acharya Narayana Netralaya.
Meanwhile Shekar Nethralaya registered the highest number of patients with eye injuries on the very first day of Diwali with as many as 10 patients visiting the hospital with minor eye injuries.
There were two patients walking in at around 6 pm on Wednesday and after 9, around 8 other cases turned up. Most of the patients were from JP Nagar, Banerghatta Road and its surrounding areas and included both minors and adults. Prabha Eye Clinic received one patient, 15, with minor injuries.
The majority of the cases on the first day of Diwali were: mild burns, eyelid burns and foreign particles in the eye. There were no surgical cases reported. Dr Sanjeev Rao, Consultant, Internal Medicine from Manipal Hospital says, “The most common injuries were burns to the skin, eyes and body, followed by inhalation of smoke that might trigger asthma.”
He advised the following remedy for burns: “Pour water and reduce the temperature and clean the burn with an antiseptic. For eye injuries, do not treat them by yourself, please visit the doctor immediately.”
Eye injuries can sometimes cause permanent damage like loss of vision. Doctors say never to light a cracker inside a closed space or house.