NEW YORK: Prime Minister Narendra Modi discussed economic growth in India and US-India relations in his address at Council on Foreign Relations in New York. To an enthusiastic crowd, he spoke in Hindi.
Here are the 10 big quotes from his speech:
- On Good Governance: When I talk about good governance, I mean minimum government and maximum governance. My efforts are towards simplifying and speeding processes. We want to focus on transparency and e-governance.
- India’s Neo-Middle Class: There is a ‘Neo-Middle Class’ in our country, one which has just come out of poverty and does not want to go back. We have to pay attention to this ‘Neo-Middle Class’. If we ignore our neo-middle class and they again slide back into poverty, then the poor will lose hope of coming out of poverty.
- On India-US relationship: One does not have to be comfortable about everything. Even between a husband and wife 100 per cent comfort is not possible. But despite that there is long-term binding.But there are many things that unite the two countries and the biggest thing is democracy.
On the ISIS Threat: Terrorism is an unimaginable perversion. Can you imagine a journalist being beheaded and it is being shown on television? We live in 21st century, and it’s a challenge for us. It’s a big challenge for us which can shake us to the core.
- ‘Tackling Terrorism Together’: There is a need to take the challenge of terrorism seriously. It’s sad that many countries could not earlier
- understand the ugly face of terrorism which is enemy of humanity. Terrorism can strike anywhere, anytime; it is an enemy of humanity.
- Terrorism cannot be tackled on the basis of political arithmetic. There is no good terrorist or bad terrorist; terrorism is terrorism.
- Terrorism in India not ‘home grown’: People of all communities in India are driven by a core philosophy. That is symbolised by Buddha, Mahatma Gandhi. Non-violence is at the core of our philosophy, all the terrorism in our country is ‘exported’ and not home grown. In a recent interview, I told the CNN, the Indian Muslim will defeat the Al Qaeda’s designs.
- ‘Youth in India Want Change’: Earlier there was a habit in our country to keep small groups happy. Divide in small groups and keep your vote-bank intact. This has changed now. The young generation of the country does not want to live in parts. The change has come due to the youth.
On India-China Relations: China and India can talks to each other and solve their disputes, there is no need for separate arbitration. We admit that there is a border a dispute but both sides are agreed upon solving the problem urgently.
- On US Withdrawal from Afghanistan: We want that Afghanistan should be stable and march towards development, and the security measures of the US has created stability and Afghanistan has now marched to new results (after presidential elections). And I have requested the US that please do not repeat the mistake of Iraq, and it should be slow in withdrawing, and let it (Afghanistan) stand on its own, and only then it can stop the Taliban from raising its head.
- ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam’: No country can exist on its own, we have to take other countries along Ideology has limits, Philosophy is limitless. India’s philosophy is Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam.