NEW DELHI: The Delhi Police has got a restraining order from a city court barring broadcast of the interview of one of the convicts in the December 16, 2012, Delhi gang-rape case, sources told media. Earlier this evening, the police had filed a First Information Report, or FIR, in the case.
In a statement to the media, the police said they filed the FIR and applied for the order in view of the convict’s “offensive and derogatory remarks against women” which can create “fear and tension” and a possible public outcry, leading to law order problems.
The court will hold a hearing on the matter on Wednesday.
The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has also advised all news channels not to carry stories related to the interview. An advisory has been sent to all news channels in this regard, reported news agency Press Trust of India, quoting official sources.
British filmmaker Leslee Udwin’s interview of one of the convicts for a documentary, in which he showed no remorse for the crime, kicked up a storm on Tuesday. The government has taken a serious view of the matter and sought an explanation from Tihar jail authorities, reported media.
The parents of the young woman, who died after the horrific assault, have reacted angrily to the remarks made by the convict.
On 16 December 2012, the 23-year-old medical student was brutally assaulted and tortured with an iron rod on a moving bus by six men, one of them a 17-year-old. She was dumped on the road, naked and bleeding, along with her friend who was also attacked.
After fighting for life for 13 days, she died at a hospital in Singapore.