Six men who raped over 12 women held in Mumbai

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr


Mumbai: Nagpur police have busted a gang that has confessed to have raped over dozen women over a period of time.

The case which prompted the police to nab all the six members of this gang was the rape of a 21-year-old school teacher.

The accused identified as Mohammed Afroz Ziauddin Pathan (33), Anil Raju Ingale (25), Sudarshan alias Sanju Maheshkar (26), Domaji Bhoyar (38), Roshan Ingale (22) and Rameshwar Pradhan were nabbed from a slum at Aarey colony in suburban Goregaon by the Nagpur police. Afroz was the leader of the gang.

The incident that shocked entire state, took place on December 1 when the woman accompanied by her male friend went to a temple. The couple was intercepted by five to six men posing as policemen near a bridge. The assaulters then took them to an isolated place on the pretext of taking the duo to a police station. But they abandoned the victim’s male friend mid-way before taking turns to rape her.

They later left the woman near her house. The woman lodged police complaint after narrating entire incident to her family members, police said. “It is not the only rape case in which these six people are involved. They are involved in more than a dozen rape cases, besides other criminal acts, which include housebreaking, theft, robbery, vehicle theft and murder,” police said.

The task for the police to nab the accused was challenging as the accused had switched off their mobile phones after fleeing to Mumbai. Police finally got a breakthrough when prime accused Afroz switched on his phone which helped the police in tracking the location.

“Police is studying various legal aspects and after that a decision would be taken on whether to evoke Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) against the accused. We are investigating the matter,” Nagpur Police Commissioner K.K. Pathak told MAIL TODAY. He added, “We are getting the reports that they have committed such crimes in the past, but since the victims did not lodge complaints, we will have to do further investigations.” The accused have been sent to police custody till December 31.

Write A Comment