Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby says no peace deal would work with Israeli presence in a Palestinian state.
The Arab League said it rejected a continued Israeli troop presence on the eastern border of a future state of Palestine, a proposal Palestinians say was floated by the US earlier this month.
An emergency meeting of Arab foreign ministers started in Cairo on Saturday, as per the request of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to discuss latest developments in the current US-sponsored Palestinian-Israeli talks.
Arab League chief Nabil Elaraby said no peace deal would work with Israeli presence in a Palestinian state.
Palestinian officials said US Secretary of State John Kerry proposed Israel control Palestine’s future border with Jordan for at least 10 years to address Israeli concerns about a potential influx of militants and weapons.
Aides to Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas have criticised the plan. One aide, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the Palestinians are trying to soften the proposal to shorten the span of any Israeli withdrawal.
Shaikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan, UAE Foreign Minister, headed the UAE delegation in the emergency meeting of the Arab foreign ministers which started here on Saturday.
The meeting was requested to be held by The UAE delegation members included Mohammed bin Nakhira Al Dhaheri, UAE Ambassador to Egypt and Permanent Representative to the Arab League, as well as a number of senior officials.
In his speech before the opening session of the meeting, Dr Nabil Al Arabi stressed that the main objective of the talks was to end the conflict and to witness an Israeli withdrawal from the Palestinian territories in a nine-month time.