Mumbai: An allegedly illegal ramp outside actor Shah Rukh Khan’s sprawling bungalow, ‘Mannat’, in Mumbai was today demolished by civic officials.
Last week, Mr Khan was served a notice by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) in which he was given a week’s time to remove the structure. The notice followed a complaint by BJP parliamentarian Poonam Mahajan who alleged “chaos and traffic build-up” due to the ramp.
Ms Mahajan had, on January 29, written a letter to Municipal
Commissioner Sitaram Kunte. Her letter did not mention the actor, but only said the ramp constructed by “one bungalow owner” was causing “permanent obstruction to people accessing the public road”.
“The ramp is known to be used by the bungalow owner to park his private heavy motor vehicle. In view of the safety and convenience of citizens, I request you to undertake demolition of the illegal ramp,” the letter said.
Shah Rukh Khan’s vanity van is often parked on the ramp, which runs along ‘Mannat’, located in the upscale Bandra Bandstand area. Residents allege that the ramp prevents access to a large part of the road, blocking the way to the Mount Mary Church.
The actor last appeared in the 2014 blockbuster Happy New Year. He is currently shooting for his next film Fan, parts of which are being filmed in and around his bungalow.