According to the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) official, the fire broke out on the ground floor of Chitra Studios located at Hiranandani area in Powai.
“We got a call around 1.30 pm about the fire which broke out in a film studio in Powai. It was a Grade 1 (low intensity) fire, for which four fire engines and as many number of water tankers were sent. The blaze was brought under control in a couple of hours,” the official said.
They suspect that the fire might have been triggered by a short circuit in a newly-built set.
All the actors and technicians at the studio were rushed to safety and there are no reports of injuries or casualties in the incident.
“There was a lot of smoke emanating from the site where the fire took place. This caused panic among the people, which made the evacuation process a little difficult. But we managed to evacuate everyone,” the official said.