MUMBAI: Sanjay Dutt will surrender on Thursday before a special TADA court here to undergo his remaining jail term in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, according to his lawyer.
The TADA court on Wednesday allowed the actor to withdraw his application seeking to surrender at Yerwada Jail in Pune.
Sanjay Dutt had earlier filed a plea requesting the court to allow him to surrender in Pune, instead of special TADA court in Mumbai.
Dutt had cited an apprehension of danger to his life “from vested interests and other fundamentalist groups and organizations”.
His application stated that he wanted to surrender directly either before the authorities of the Yerawada jail in Pune or Arthur Road jail, as on previous occasions when he was arrested and taken to Yerawada jail, he was “chased by the media and news reporters/journalists”. He said that vehicles ferrying him to jail went at a speed of more than 120 kmph and “a minor error of judgment by the driver can lead to a fatal accident which can cost him his life”.
He also said he “apprehends a large presence of media and fans at the Tada court premises which increases security risks… as it becomes difficult to monitor each and every person present at the court site… and also causes a lot of inconvenience to the police and the court”.
Sanjay Dutt has been convicted under the Arms Act in the Mumbai serial blasts case.
His plea for a review of his conviction in the case has already been rejected by the Supreme Court.
The apex court on Tuesday refused to give Dutt extra time to surrender on a plea by a Bollywood producer.