A fire mishap at an IT company in AMR Tech Park on Hosur Road left the third floor of the five-storey building gutted. No casualties were reported as employees rushed to safety after they heard the fire alarm at around 1.20 p.m.
However, fire fighting and rescue operations left 10 personnel choking from the smoke.
When the fire alarm went off to alert 300 employees of Tally Solutions Pvt. Ltd., many had gone out for lunch. The employees initially thought it was a fire drill until some of them spotted thick smoke emanating from one side of the building.
Ten fire tenders rushed to the spot and began dousing the fire. A number of private water tankers were also used to control the fire. “Many of our men inhaled smoke and fell unconscious. They are being treated at a nearby hospital and are out of danger,” Chief Fire officer Markandaiah told The Hindu. Mr. Markandaiah was among the ten personnel who were admitted to the hospital for treatment.
The police said that some employees sustained minor bruises while rushing out of the building. One of them got stuck in the lift and was brought down to safety by rescue personnel.
A police official from Bommanahalli outpost police station said that a case is yet to be registered and the estimated loss is being calculated. The owner of the company is on his way to the city from Hong Kong.
Interestingly, soon after the situation was bought under control, software professionals working on tight deadlines were seen working on their laptops outside the building. While some were seen helping the fire personnel, others assisted cops in managing traffic.