Over 20 lakh tonnes of waste will be removed within the next three years
The 17-day-old garbage crisis came to an end on Tuesday evening after the BBMP committed, in writing, to end garbage dumping at Mandur landfills from December 1 this year and remove over 20 lakh tonnes of waste lying in the landfill within the next three years. In response, residents agreed to withdraw their protest immediately.
The announcement by city in-charge and Transport Minister R. Ramalinga Reddy came after an agreement between BBMP and Mandur residents, who had been insisting on a written commitment on stopping garbage dumping and had placed 10 demands to end the crisis. Later, seven villagers, who were on an indefinite fast since Sunday, broke their fast in the presence of freedom fighter H.S. Doreswamy and Mr. Reddy, who visited them at Mandur. One of the protesters, Nalina (48), had been hospitalised on Monday after taking ill.
The development followed a meeting of Mandur residents led by Mr. Doreswamy with Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Tuesday afternoon.
As per the agreement, BBMP, over the next five and a half months, will also taper down the number of trucks going to Mandur. As demanded by residents, the garbage-laden trucks will move towards the landfill only between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.
“The BBMP has to assign numbers to the trucks. Those without numbers will not be allowed to dump garbage. Trucks from Devanahalli and Hoskote will not be allowed to dump garbage at Mandur,” the minister said, adding that 71 cases filed against residents will be dropped. Once the 45-acre landfill is cleared of garbage, it will be deployed for public purposes. BBMP Commissioner M Lakshminarayan said the contract to start bio mining to clear the accumulated garbage is expected to be completed in three months.
The other demands, such as soil topping on the garbage, controlling diseases and foul smell in the vicinity and not discharging water outside the landfill, have been accepted. The progress of the agreement will be reviewed monthly.
“The contract entered into with Srinivas Gayatri Resource Recovery Ltd. (which is now facing charges of pledging Mandur landfill for Rs. 80 crore) will also be terminated shortly,”the BBMP chief said.
Earlier, while residents insisted on a Government Order, an agreement with them was offered, citing procedure. The other demand of residents asking government’s commitment not to impose Section 144 of CrPC was rejected.