Udupi; Dec 17: It was reported that four fibre made country boats and a small wooden boat caught fire at Padukere, near Malpe on Dec 17, Tuesday.The total loss due to fire was estimated at Rs 43.6 lac.
According to the available information, boats were anchored on the bank of the sea in a shed and covered with tarpaulin because presently there is a ban on fishing by country boats.
It was told that fire caused due to short-circuit in a transformer high tension wire located near the spot where boats were anchored. The spark converted into big flames spread so fast and the fibre boats were completely gutted to ash within no time.The incident occurred at around 1.30 pm in the noon.
The fibre boats kept inside the shed were belonging to Padukere Vasu Bangera,Harish Kundar,Bhaskar Mendon,Vasu Salian and wooden boat (Kairampani) belongs to Gopala Kotian.
As the news spread,locals tried to extinguish the fire and immediately informed the fire brigade personnel.As there was no bridge to reach Padukere,Udupi fire brigade had to reach Padukere via Pangala road,causing considerable delay in reaching.In between fire brigade personnel and Malpe police arrived through boat with pump and started extinguish the fire. After around two hours of efforts, the fire was doused by the fire brigade personnel.
The total loss due to fire was expected around 43.60 lac according to fire brigade officials.
Udupi tahsildar Guruprasad, Police authorities and committee members of different fishermen associations visited the spot and examined.
A case has been registered in Malpe police station.