(Video) Udupi; Polytechnic student commits suicide – Protest intensifies

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr


Udupi, Aug 3: As the protest intensifies due to the confusion prevailed over the new carry-over system, violent incidents of different natures are reporting one after the other on daily basis. If yesterday was the day of hunger protest, today on 03.08.2013, Saturday a  case of suicide has been reported, wherein a second-year polytechnic student allegedly committed suicide as he had failed in five subjects which prevented him to continue to the third semester as per the new carry-over rule.





Santhosh Kumar, aged 20, son of Sundar and Pratibha Jatanna, resident of Sagri was identified as the student, who committed suicide.



Sources said that Santhosh Kumar hanged himself in his bedroom and the incident came to light when his parents got no response from him when they called out to him. Only on opening the door of his bedroom, they saw him hanging. It was believed that this drastic step taken by him was out of sheer frustration as he was not qualified for continue his education due to new carry-over system.


 Angered by the incident, the students of polytechnic colleges, who have been protesting against the present carry-over rule over the past few days, rushed to Manipal hospital where the body was taken. They staged a flash protest by forming a human chain and demanded an immediate change in the rule before other students take such extreme steps.


The students alleged that despite being sent several appeals, requests to the DC, the MLA, concerned authorities and the government, there has not been a single response from any quarter to their demands and urged the DC to take immediate action in this regard in an angry tone.


One of the protestors Prashanth said that Santhosh has taken this extreme step just because of the present carry-over system. If any adequate action is not taken immediately to resolve the already boiling issue, we know how to show our strength and power.


Meantime, Pramod Madhwaraj, MLA from udipi, who visited the spot, tried to calm down the protesting students and said that appropriate action will be taken in the matter. He assured the students that he would convey their appeals to the education minister and will also coordinate with the police in finding out the actual truth behind the suicide.

The protestors also gathered at Tiger Circle and staged a dharna. Traffic was disrupted for some time.

Manipal police led by inspector Ravi Kumar arrived at the spot and tried to bring the situation under control.

Manipal police inspector Sadananda Tippannanavar warned the students that it was illegal to protest without official permission. The students also held a protest march to DC’s office.

On Thursday August 2, the students had gone on a day-long hunger strike demanding change in the carry-over system, which prohibits a student from continuing to the next semester if he or she has failed in more than four subjects.

Write A Comment