Beijing: In a failed bid to clear her blocked airway, a 31-year-old woman in China’s Guangdong province almost died after she poked a 30 cm metal spatula down her throat.
Guan Hsuing, who was cooking at her home and suddenly had trouble breathing and remembering a folk remedy about using something to unclog the throat decied to give it a try. But after finding that three chopsticks and her fingers didn’t work, Guan put the 30cm handle of a metal kitchen spatula down her throat.
Things got worse as the utensil stuck in her throat and she had to be lead out by her 4-year-old daughter, and she was given emergency surgery.
But the whole episode proved costly affair for her, as 20cm of her damaged oesophagus had to be removed. The thoracic surgeon described this as a once in a hundred years case.