Day After 6-Hour Questioning, Congress MP Shashi Tharoor Meets Police Before Flying Out

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr


New Delhi:  Congress MP Shashi Tharoor, who was questioned for six hours yesterday on the alleged murder of his wife Sunanda Pushkar, met the police again today before flying out of Delhi.

Mr Tharoor reportedly went to a police station and gave his contact details before leaving for Thiruvananthapuram, his constituency in Kerala.

On Thursday, the politician was questioned twice. The first session lasted over four-and-a-half-hours. Later in the evening, he was questioned for an hour-and-a-half till around midnight.

Police sources say Mr Tharoor was allowed to leave in the evening to finish some work.

“Shashi Tharoor and his employees were questioned. But there is no final conclusion yet,” police chief BS Bassi said today.

Mr Tharoor’s domestic help Narayan Singh, driver Bajrangi and friend Sanjay Diwan were among the five people questioned along with him.

Sources told NDTV that officials of the government’s Economic Offences Wing were present for the second round of questioning, indicating that Mr Tharoor may have been questioned on the Indian Premier League.

The former Union minister had to resign in 2010 after accusations of corruption linking him to the cricket franchise for his home state of Kerala. Sunanda Pushkar was allegedly given stakes worth about $15 million (around Rs. 94 crore) for free.

Friends and acquaintances of Ms Pushkar told NDTV that before her death, she had alleged that she had been made a scapegoat in the IPL controversy.

Mr Tharoor was also questioned on the circumstances in which Ms Pushkar left him at the airport on January 15 last year and checked into a hotel.

The Delhi police chief said Mr Tharoor might be called for questioning again if needed. Mr Tharoor was questioned for the first time on January 19.

Ms Pushkar was found dead in a hotel suite on January 17 last year, days after she publicly accused her husband of having an affair with a Pakistani journalist. Police claim she had been poisoned, though they are yet to name a suspect. Her viscera samples have been sent to the US for testing.

Write A Comment