New Delhi: Three persons died of asphyxiation while another is critical in a hospital, after they had lit a coal fire to keep themselves warm during the night at the residence of a businessman in South Delhi’s Hauz Khas area where they used to work.
The deceased have been identified as Santosh (33), the driver, Rajesh (26), the cook and and Uday (45), the gardener, who used to work at the businessman’s house.
The fourth person identified as Munna (56), stated to be in a critical state, is friend of the three and is known to the family.
After a late night party the businessman hosted on the occasion of his wife’s birthday, the four had gone to sleep around 5.30 am in the servant quarters on the top floor of the house. Since it was very cold they burnt coal in an iron pan and went off to sleep.
When Santosh did not respond to the businessman’s calls in the morning around 10.30 am, a domestic help was sent upstairs to check who in turn informed that all of them were lying in an unconscious state, a police officer said.
The businessman then himself went upstairs and tried to wake them up. He also sprayed water on their faces but the four did not move, he said.
He then called the doctor and the ambulance. Meanwhile, all of them were rushed to Max Hospital where Santosh, Rajesh and Uday were declared brought dead while Munna was stated to be in a critical state.
“The incident came to light this afternoon. Prima facie it appears that the three died due to lack of oxygen in the room as the only window in the room was closed. Their bodies bore no injury marks and most likely it appears to be an accidental death,” said a police official.
“The bodies have been sent for post mortem and no case has been registered so far as it seems to be an accident,” the official said, adding that investigations are on.