What is delaying Adithi murder trial?

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

kerala adithi murderKOZHIKODE: The accused in the Adithi murder case, where a young child of class one was brutally tortured to death by none other than her father and step mother, have been roaming free for the last 15 months as the trial was delayed without reason. The Nadakkavu police which investigated the case, had filed the chargesheet on July 19 last at the District Magistrate court but till date no court has been assigned to take up the trial and the accused are leading a free and happy life.

Nadakkavu police sources said they had no idea when the trial would begin. They said they had completed the investigation and filed the chargesheet two months after the murder. Adithi, a class one student of West Hill BEM UP School, breathed her last at Kozhikode Medical College hospital on April 30, 2013, battling the injuries and burns inflicted upon her by her father and stepmother for over two weeks.

Adithi’s post-mortem report has categorically proved the torture angle and the main prosecution witness was her brother who was an eyewitness to the torture.
“There is no justification for such a delay in beginning the trial. Such delay in delivery of justice will only help criminals to have a free run in society,” a senior police official said.
Subramaniam Namboodiri, the child’s father, who was working as a priest at a temple in Bilathikulam was named the first accused and his second wife Devika Antharjanam alias Remla Beegam, the second accused. The two were charged under Sections 302 (murder) and 307 (attempt to murder) of IPC.  The police had taken statements from 45 witnesses including the victim’s brother, teachers, neighbours and Childline workers.

After weeks of torture, Adithi was one day admitted to a private hospital with serious burn injuries. The parents told the hospital that the girl had fallen into a hot water tub. The doctors who refused to buy this, informed the police. The child was then rushed to the Kozhikode Medical College where she succumbed to her injuries. The neighbours had on several occasions brought the matter to the notice of Childline workers, but they only let off Subramaniam Namboodiri with a warning.

Write A Comment