Torture death of student: Dh12m blood money offered

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

Sharjah court house

Two Kuwaiti students were sentenced to death; lawyer of victim’s family rejects cheque for amount in court, insists on cash payment.

Sharjah – The family of a student, who is on death row for torturing a fellow student to death, offered a cheque for one million Kuwaiti Dinars (Dh12.14 million) to the deceased’s family as blood money in a Sharjah court on Tuesday.

The family also submitted a cheque for 100,000 Kuwaiti Dinars (Dh1.21 million) to the lawyer of the deceased’s family, in addition to a cheque for 10,000 Kuwaiti Dinars (Dh121,462) as legal fees.

The lawyer of the deceased’s family, Salim Sahoo, however, refused the cheques and insisted on cash payment as was agreed by the two parties. The second defendant in the case is yet to pay the blood money. The Sharjah appellate court adjourned the case to next month, when a forensic report will be submitted in court. Two Kuwaiti students were sentenced to death by the Sharjah Shariah Court of First Instance in November last year for torturing and murdering their compatriot roommate. A third accused in the case was fined in absentia for failing to inform the police about the crime.

The victim, 19-year-old Mubarak Meshaal Al Mubarak, a first-year student at the University of Sharjah, was tortured and assaulted for three days by the accused. The third accused, who fled the UAE after the incident, did not directly take part in the crime but failed to inform legal authorities about it. Defendants Y.H., 18, and H.M., 19, were convicted of deprivation of the victim’s freedom, torture and premeditated murder.

The Sharjah Police received a report in February last year from the University Hospital that the victim succumbed to his injuries after his friend rushed him to the hospital with critical injuries. In subsequent investigations, the police said the two accused, who had been studying at the university for a year, tortured the victim.

The victim had joined the College of Communications at the university just two weeks before he was murdered. The victim’s friend had rushed him to the hospital after he fainted in a coffee shop in Muweilah area of Sharjah.

The victim had told the friend that the defendants tortured him for three days over some financial disputes at their apartment in the Abu Daneq area. A forensic report said signs of beatings and burn marks had been found on the victim’s body.

Write A Comment