Both the 22-year-old women and her two-month-old baby daughter died due to smoke inhalation
Muscat: A 22-year-old woman and her two-month-old baby daughter died in a kitchen fire in the North Mabala area of Seeb province on Monday afternoon.
The mother and baby were in a bedroom when the fire broke out, an official at the Public Authority for Civil Defence and Ambulance (PACDA), told Gulf News.
The pair both died from smoke inhalation.
Neighbours reported the incident and PACDA staff put the fire out in two hours. The mother and child were found dead in the toilet, where they hid to avoid the fire. They soffocated due to inhalation of heavy smoke. Damage in the house such as furniture and kitchen items was also reported.
An investigation is under way and samples from the incident have been taken to the laboratory for examination, said the official.
Earlier this year, four expatriate workers died in a plastics factory fire in Muscat in February.
Two siblings were killed in a fire that gutted a house in Rustaq province last year, due to an electrical fault last year.