In probably the biggest-ever scandal involving leak of obscene MMS clips on social networking platforms and porn websites, CBI has arrested the alleged kingpin in Bengaluru and recovered around 500 porn clips showing women and even kids in compromising position. Sources said the agency stumbled upon the organized syndicate, in which many other men from various states including West Bengal, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka are suspected to be involved, while probing 10 videos clips which were in circulation on WhatsApp earlier this year. The Supreme Court had asked CBI to probe the videos which showed exploitation of women and kids.
The accused has been identified as Kaushik Kuonar, in his late 20s, who was caught on Thursday evening on a specific input. The agency has also recovered advanced editing software, machines, stealth cameras and hard disks from him. It is suspected that he used to earn a lot by uploading the videos on porn websites and by circulating them on social messaging platforms. Kuonar is being interrogated about other members of the syndicate.
It was reported on April 6 by TOI that an organized gang was behind the leak of videos depicting women indulging in sexual acts and even kids being beaten up. The Supreme Court had taken suo-motu cognisance of a letter written by a Hyderabad-based NGO to Chief Justice of India HK Dattu along with a pen drive carrying nine clips. The apex court ordered a CBI probe on the issue.
In none of the cases, time and place of crime, identity of victim and offenders was clear, leaving the agency to hunt in the dark. CBI used sophisticated forensic software to track the origin of the video messages which went viral on the social messaging platforms. Three out of nine clips given to the agency were traced to Kuonar. For another clip, the agency has already arrested two persons from Odisha. Sources said the suspect belongs to a well-to-do family and lives in an affluent locality in Bengaluru. He had allegedly made a profession out of creating such titillating videos which he posted on Internet.
“Every click or every visit viewing these clips would apparently reward him with money,” an official said. The agency has already registered six FIRs for alleged gangrape and one FIR for rape.