Pregnant woman electrocuted

Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr

MADURAI: In a tragic incident a nine-month pregnant woman was electrocuted in her parent’s home on Thursday after she came into contact with high-tension wires passing over the house near Periyakulam.

The incident happened when Rajeswari, 21, climbed to the terrace to bring down her son who had gone to play there. She was electrocuted when the wires, which were hanging very low over the house, grazed her head. Her brother Ramesh and a neighbour Ayyanar (50), who rushed to the terrace on hearing her cries, too sustained shock. They were rushed to the hospital, but the woman died on the way.

Rajeswari, daughter of Angappan of Darmapuri in Theni district, had married Muthumanikandan of T Kallipatti in Periyakulam about three years back. They have a two-year old son, Sabari. She had reached her parent’s house a few weeks ago as she was in an advanced stage of pregnancy.

Since the deceased was married for less than three years, the Periyakulam RDO is conducting an inquiry. Veerapandi inspector Suresh who is investigating the case said that initial investigations revealed that the woman’s father had replaced his thatched hut with a concrete building about five months ago, even though high-tension wires were passing over it. It was not known if he had brought it to the notice of the electricity board.

Write A Comment