Cook time: 25min
A Maharashtra delight, tweaked to boost the health value! While palak adds vitamin a to this dish, chana dal adds nutrients like calcium, iron, folic acid, zinc and fibre. Ensure that you do not overcook chana dal, as it should be separate and not mashed.
- 3/4 cup chopped spinach (palak)
- 1/2 cup chana dal (split bengal gram) , soaked and drained
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 6 to 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 slit green chilli
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tsp grated jaggery (gur)
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1Combine the chana dal, salt, turmeric powder and ¾ cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
- 2Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside.
- 3Heat a deep non-stick pan on a medium flame and when hot, add the mustard seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida and dry roast for about 30 seconds or till the mustard seeds crackle.
- 4Lower the flame, add the green chilli and onions and dry roast till they turn light brown in colour. Sprinkle a little water if the onions start burning.
- 5Add the spinach and dry roast for 1 to 2 more minutes while stirring continuously.
- 6Add the cooked dal, jaggery, chilli powder and little salt and mix well.
- 7Add ½ cup of water, mix well and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serve hot
Nutritive values per serving:
¤ Energy: 144 kcal
¤ Protein: 7.8 gm
¤ Carbohydrates: 22.3 gm
¤ Invisible Fat: 1.8 gm
¤ Vitamin A: 1158.3 mcg
¤ Iron: 2.2 mg