Mumbai: Gautam Gambhir and the Kolkata Knight Riders can heave a sigh of relief as off-spinner Sunil Narine’s bowling action was cleared by the Board Of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) on Sunday. The news now sets the path clear over the West Indies bowler’s participation in the eighth edition of the cash-rich Indian Premier League.
Narine was banned during the 2014 Champions League Twenty20 for suspect bowling action but was then cleared by the ICC after he underwent a test at the University of Loughborough last month. However, the BCCI insisted that he undergo another test in Chennai.
Narine’s test report came two days later after he underwent a bowling test at Sri Ramachandra University in Chennai on Thursday. The bowling review committee of the BCCI comprising of Venkatraghavan, Javagal Srinath and AV Jayaprakash examined the bowling action of Narine after he had undergone a biomechanical assessment at the ICC accredited SRMC centre.
The BCCI released a statement that said, “The committee concluded that Sunil Narine, who had remodelled his bowling action, was within the ICC approved limits for all types of deliveries that were assessed and has hence recommended to the BCCI, that his name may be removed from the warning list of bowlers with suspect action. As a result, Sunil Narine is now allowed to bowl in all BCCI tournaments.”
“I am happy that we will witness Sunil Narine in action in the Pepsi IPL 8, since he is now cleared by the BCCI committee. We look forward to the opening match between Kolkata Knight Riders and Mumbai Indians on the April 8 in Kolkata, which promises to provide an exciting start to the tournament,” BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur said.
Defending champions Kolkata Knight Riders will face Mumbai Indians in the tournament opener at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata on Wednesday.