Belgaum, Sep 18, 2013 DHNS:
A day of festivities turned into tragedy as four people, including a woman and two children, were electrocuted and seven others suffered burns when a Ganesha idol they were carrying for immersion on a tractor trolley came in contact with a high-tension wire here on Wednesday.
The incident occurred at Sadashiv Nagar when members of Ganesh Utsav Mandal were pulling the trolley on the first main road.
The iron-rod supporting the 28-foot-tall eco-friendly Ganesha idol came in contact with the high-tension electric wire laid across the road. Those pulling the trolley suffered severe shocks and were thrown off to a distance. The electrocution killed four people while seven others suffered severe injuries, including burns.
The deceased have been identified as Prajwal Anil Mali (16), Gangappa Mudali (52), Geeta Gajanan Saple (42) and Sujal Gajanan Saple (10) residents of Sadashiv Nagar. Power supply in the surrounding areas was disconnected immediately and the trolley carrying the Ganesha idol was moved to safety.
Chaos prevailed at the accident spot and at District Hospital as families, friends and relatives of the injured and deceased tried to come to terms with the tragedy.