To make it memorable, Prince Subramanyaraje Urs Sri Venugopalaswamy Temple Trust has renovated the heritage temple, retaining its originality. Three-day puja celebrations are planned from August 16.
The temple, having its root in the erstwhile rule of the Wadiyars, was built in memory of Prince Subramanyaraje Urs, the brother of 23rd ruler Chamarajendra Wadiyar Tenth. Chamarajendra Wadiyar was the adopted son of Mummadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar, who held the reins of Mysore as the 22nd ruler.
When the prince (Subramanyaraje Urs) died, his wife princess Lakshammanni built the temple praying the god to open the heavenly gates. The temple, with Venugopala Swamy as presiding deity, was opened in June 1913 during the rule of Nalwadi Krishnaraja Wadiyar (son of Chamarajendra Wadiyar Tenth).
Explaining about the significance of the temple, president of the trust B S Sridharraje Urs told Deccan Herald, “It has a rare stone (black granite) carved idols of Sri Krishna, with his consorts Rukmini and Sathyabhama, besides a cow that form the deity”. The prabhavali (arch) behind the deity is also made of stone with fine carvings.
A year ago, it was planned to refurbish the temple at an estimated cost of Rs 12 lakh. Accordingly, the glint of the idols has been enhanced, besides laying granite stone for the floor at the sanctum sanctorum and rebuilding and repairing vimana gopura and rajagopura respectively. The natural paintings, depicting the great epic Mahabharata, that adorn the roof of the temple has been redone utilising the expertise of ganjifa artist Raghupathi Bhat.
Sridharraje Urs said, apart from available funds with the trust, philanthropists have helped in realising the plans.
On the final day of puja on August 18, Sri Parakala Mutt seer Sri Vageesha Brahmatantra Swatantra Swami will supervise kumbabhisheka from 10.30 am. A vocal concert by Padma Murthy and troupe is organised on the same evening at 6.30.