”Brahmavar Bandh & amp; highway block”
Udupi; Sept 11: Addressing the media reporters in the press meet held at Brahmavar hotel on September 11, Wednesday, Govindraj Hegde, President, save NH66 samiti said in his speech that considering the problems faced by the people of Brahmavar and surrounding region due to the construction of just one under-pass and opposing the silent attitude of government and departments, Samiti has decided to observe”Brahmavar Bandh and highway block”, he said
“Udupi taluk auto rickshaw and transport drivers Sangha,Brahmavar,Auto drivers and owners Sangha,Brahmavar-Barkur unit, Tempo drivers and owners Sangha Brahmavar,Small scale shop owners Sangha Brahmavar and Brahmavar region building labors Sangha and other Sangha’s joint co-ordination, demanding the construction of fly-over at the time of Brahmavar highway widening work in the jurisdiction of four panchayat Brahmavar Sampoorna Bandh and highway block-public rally and protest procession will be organized, he added.
September 19th Brahmavar’s Varamballi, Handadi, Chantaru and Haradi, these four panchayat limit complete Bandh celebration. Morning 10.00 am near Brahmavar Bus stand public rally, from 11.00 am to 12.00 noon, near Brahmavar highway -block and from 12.00 noon by organizing massive protest march and at special tahsildar office, a memorandum will be submitted to DC,he said.
For highway authority’s private consultant’s knowledge and department’s lethargy, Samiti asked some Questions:
1. When the present construction is harmful and dangerous to the lives of public, why don’t you feel like constructing fly-over? Have you not done elsewhere?
2. Have you not incurred losses of money and time due to the breakage of under-pass, which was situated behind Brahmavar bus stand?
3. Have you not incurred losses of time and money when you change the under-pass in other places?
4. As per the agreement made with government on 06.03.2000, work of 90.08 km length of road should have been completed within 900 days i.e by 30.08.2002 but after completing deadline date, even after completing one year, 55% of the road construction not finished. Difference in raw materials and increase in labor’s wage etc-don’t you think expenditure will go up? Who will pay it?
5. Since the construction of the road will remain permanent and construction of under-pass endanger the lives of the people, for changes, why can’t you construct fly-over?
6.Although Save NH66 samiti has submitted memorandum to build 7 slab fly over on behalf of public to Jayaprakash Hegde,MP,Vinaya Kumar Sorake,minister for urban development and district-in-charge,Pramodh Madhwaraj,MLA,Oscar Fernandez, union transport minister, now in hurry-burry why you have started finishing under-pass work?
In case, Samiti’s demands are not met within ten days starting from today, Samiti has decided to observe Bandh and highway block.