Civil Defence official lauded the responsible and courageous behaviour of the woman who helped save lives and property.
A 39-year-old Emirati woman was honoured by the Ajman Civil Defence for her courage and presence of mind that helped her manage three incidents which could have caused fire in her house.
Um Rashid responded fast during these incidents before the firefighters’ arrival.
The first incident took place when fire erupted in an oven in her kitchen. She responded fast by bringing a wet towel and covering the oven with it before the fire spread to the kitchen.
In the second incident, her daughter was standing next to the stove and her scarf caught fire. Um Rashid told her daughter not to run so that the flow of oxygen did not make the fire spread and immediately removed the scarf from her daughter’s head. The third incident was when fire broke out in a water motor. She immediately disconnected electricity supply in the house from the main switch to avoid a short circuit that could have led to a disaster.
Colonel Nassr Rashid Al Zeri, Director of Media and Public Relations at the Ajman Civil Defence, lauded the responsible and courageous behaviour of the woman who helped save lives and property by playing an active role in dousing the flames and acting smartly before the arrival of the Civil Defence personnel though she did not have any formal training and a fire extinguisher at home.
“To ensure the safety of their homes, people must make sure that their electric wires are insulated and should not overload the power usage. They must have fire extinguishers in the homes for use in case of an emergency,” he added.