Crab – 1/2 kg or 500 gms
Onion – 2 – (finely chopped)
Tomato – 1 – (finely chopped)
Coriander seeds – roasted – 1 tsp
Cumin or Jeera – roasted – 1/4 tsp
Peppercorns – roasted – 7
Methi or Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Tamarind ball – 1/2 the size of a small lemon
Garlic – 3 cloves – (with skin)
Ginger – (optional) – 1/4 inch
grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Dry Red chilli – 10
Salt to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
- Clean and cut crab. Keep aside.
- Fry red chillies, coriander seeds, cumin seeds,peppercorn, methi seeds with little oil.
- Grind all the fried ingridients along with tamarind, garlic, and turmeric powder into a very fine and thick paste. Add little water if required.
- Fry one sliced onion in oil or ghee and add to the grinder and for some more time.
- Take a heavy bottomed pan or vessel, keep on medium heat and add oil, when oil is hot add the chopped onion and fry till onion turns golden brown, now add chopped tomatoes and stir. Fry till the tomatoes become really soft add chopped ginger. Now add the ground masala and cook till the oil seperates, stir often.
- Add the cleaned crabs and mix well.
- When crab gets cooked add grated coconut, mix well and let on slim flame for some more time.
- Serve hot with steaming red or white rice.