India’s cricket board said it was “shocked and disappointed” after being told by the West Indies board that its players would be leaving after Friday’s one-day game because of a pay dispute.
The West Indies’ board initially denied making a decision to end the tour but later confirmed the news.
Captain Dwayne Bravo said after Friday’s ODI that the tour had ended.
All-rounder Darren Sammy then tweeted “honey I’m coming home”, giving further indication that the West Indies players felt the tour was over.
The West Indies Cricket Board released a statement on Facebook saying that Bravo had informed them “the players have taken a decision to withdraw their services for the remainder of the tour of India”.
The WICB offered to field a replacement team for the final five matches of the tour but said that “was not considered acceptable” by India’s cricket board [BCCI].
The WICB also apologised to “West Indian fans and all cricket fans for this most regrettable situation and the premature end to the tour”.
The teams had been scheduled to play one more ODI, a one-off Twenty20 international and three Test matches.
India led the ODI series 2-1 after their 59-run win in Dharamsala on Friday. Tuesday’s third match in Visakhapatnam was abandoned because of Cyclone Hudhud.
Sri Lanka have already been lined-up as a replacement opponent in a five-match one-day series starting next month.